It’s been a long time coming, but my husband and I have finally decided to invest some time (and as little money as possible) in improving our living room. So far, we’ve hung the map featured in yesterday’s post, I’ve worked some crafty magic*, and we bought some vintage items.
As many of you know, I’m a librarian. My husband likes maps and has a record collection of literally thousands of titles that kinda have to be part of our decor puzzle. We both love anything academic, and we’re both fans of midcentury furniture (like all other 20 & 30-something hipsters, I know).
Show me what you’re working with…
Here are my thoughts so far:
- Painting isn’t an option (we rent), and our living room is a small space with high ceilings.
- We scored that sweet, colorful relief globe at a vintage shop recently, which is really cool. It helps add some personality to the room.
- I am going to convert my small card catalog drawers into an end table to tie in with the orange chairs.
- I think a rug might make the room less institutional and more homey.
- A coffee table might add a needed pop of color in front of our couch (not pictured).
- Styling and re-styling the mantle on a regular basis might also add some warmth to the space.
I have a couple of friends who are interior decorating pros. One literally designs interiors for a living, and the other is a blogger. Their homes seem so effortless and tied together, and my house always feels very thrown together. I can craft the crap out of almost anything, but making a whole room work is a challenge.
Today, I’m asking you this: what else do I need?