24 Responses

1. Nica
    Nica at | | Reply

So excited to try this! My only question is, what length of paracord did you use to acheive which length of collar? I’d hate to cut mine too short and discover it halfway through my collar! Argh!
    Thank you for sharing this! :)

2. Fetching! | The Daily Dog Tag
    Fetching! | The Daily Dog Tag at |

[...] Simple and beautiful DIY rainbow paracord dog collar(or modify it for a bracelet) [...]

3. Cute Dog Collars – DIY
    Cute Dog Collars – DIY at |

[...] Braid projects are easy and fun to do, great thing about designing your own collar is that you can customize everything. Colors and materials to be used and the design you want to choose. These braided collars are sure to make a style statement. Pic Courtesy [...]

4. Tonya Sue Erick
    Tonya Sue Erick at | | Reply

Where did you get the slide release buckles?

5. Eunice
    Eunice at | | Reply

Hi! I was just wondering, is this kind of collar alright for cats? I know they have narrower necks than dogs as well as more fragile ones too. I’ve been looking into creating my own collar since I don’t see one that I really like in stores. Thanks.

1. dana
      dana at | | Reply

Eunice, The slide release buckles are not good for cats. You need to get specific buckles for cats. They are quick release or also called break aways. Cats get caught up in stuff and will panic and throw their bodies around. If you don’t have a quick release buckle they can get themselves in a lot of trouble. I have made dog and cat collars for a few years and used to sell them online or at craft-shows.

6. Yayan
    Yayan at | | Reply

Hi! I wanted to ask if you notice the collar stretching out at all after using it a few times – I’d hate to make it just right at first only to have it stretch out to be too big later on! Thanks!

7. Nikki
    Nikki at | | Reply

Hi Heidi,
    Really love the design of your collar, I have a labrador she is only ten months and I really want to make her a collar. Living in England I don’t have the luxury of Michaels (will have to stock up when I visit florida this year). I was just wondering if you have ever made a lead to go with the collar.?

8. Kathryn
    Kathryn at | | Reply

I have made a few things with paracord (bracelets, dog collar, key chain, water bottle holder) From my experience and what I have read for that knot you should expect about a foot of cord for each inch you need. I have yet to try it but I saw a tutorial that says you should boil the cord first because it will shrink when it gets wet. It also said you can boil it once its done to tighten the knots.

9. Olivia Cross
    Olivia Cross at | | Reply

What colour is this paracord

10. Caroline
    Caroline at | | Reply

I’ve just maded one for my dog Beagle x Jack Russel, named Cooper. I have the color: Neon turquoise with black. It is beautiful on my dog. Thank you verry much for making this blog. My dog thanks you to!!

Grtz,
    Caroline & Cooper

11. Shelbi
    Shelbi at | | Reply

Hello I’m just wondering if you have any suggestions how I could make this color adjustable? I wanted to make some as gifts but it’s too hard to know exact sizes without asking for them?!

12. Katie
    Katie at | | Reply

Hi,

I’m just wondering if anyone knows if the buckle has to be a particular type? and what size is best? I am picking up my puppy in 4 weeks, so have some time to get everything and start trying to make it :)
    I have looked on Amazon UK and there are millions of different buckle types & sizes!
    Also has anyone tried Kathryn’s suggestion of boiling the cord and is this a good thing to do?
    Katie :)

13. Jennifer Priest
    Jennifer Priest at | | Reply

OMG I love this! Totally adding this to my “things to do this summer” list :)

14. Eunice
    Eunice at | | Reply

Oh, wow. I have completely forgotten to check your blog post for the answer to my question. Silly me. Thanks for all those who answered my questions. I will definitely contact my vet and look into the breakaway clasps for the collars. Thanks.

15. Five Pinterest DIY Christmas Gift Ideas « The Frazzled Coffee Lover

[…] 2.¬†Paracord Dog Collar: […]

Please comment with your real name using good manners.