15 Responses

1. onel
    onel at | | Reply

I’ve never used a knitting loom before but this looks fun. I should try making one myself. Thanks a lot for the thorough tutorial :)

2. Miranda
    Miranda at | | Reply

Wow, this is really cute… I love it! Thanks for the thorough tutorial :)

3. Colleen
    Colleen at | | Reply

Well done Heidi – the internet needed a post like this! And thanks for the nice referral – Colleen @ mymateriallife
    Colleen recently posted…Stig Lindberg Cocktail Napkins & A Vermouth SpritzerMy Profile

4. Heather
    Heather at | | Reply

I really appreciate this post and all the details. I can’t wait to try this with my nephews over this Thanksgiving break. Thank you for including the detailed instructions for casting off – I think it’ll be really helpful.

5. shalene
    shalene at | | Reply

Love your tute and thoro explanatiion

6. Karen
    Karen at | | Reply

Love this tutorial, and how to make the loom. I did this as a kid about a million years ago, but forgot how to do it. (and I ended up with a long cord that had no useful purpose, so I love the idea of actually having something I can use!).

7. Program Kit: Rainbow Loom | Library as Incubator Project

[…] Check out my tutorial for how to make knitting looms from recycled paper tubes, and have enough looms ready for program participants ahead of time. Then, keep one loom for yourself and make a pair of hand warmers to master the casting on, knitting, and casting off before the program. Hint: the casting on and off is by far the hardest part. […]

8. cindyzs
    cindyzs at | | Reply

really cool, used to do the spool one all the time, but i am much much older now and i have forgot all of this…………i dont understand the 1-11 casting off and binding/sewing……….. any videos of this??? could you??? thanks :)

9. HawaiianLibrarian
    HawaiianLibrarian at | | Reply

Mahalo, thank you, for this detailed tute for a non-knitting children’s librarian who would love to try this at a summer crafternoon with school-aged children. Tape tubes, tp rolls, yarn and kraft sticks I have by the bagsful so I’ll get the volunteers to make some looms for us and I’ll practice, practice, practice. As for tutes, there can never be enough detail; good job!

Please comment with your real name using good manners.