Christmas comes but once a year, let’s celebrate with some yarn-filled cheer! Today’s ornaments are all about celebrating the season, with an amigurumi mug (a cup of cheer! Get it?), an adorable Christmas tree, and a jaunty Santa hat ornament. Later this week, I’ll have a roundup featuring all twelve ornaments in this series that has become a seasonal favorite, so for now, I’ll leave you with this final set of patterns, all of which can be hooked up in a single short sitting. Perfect for the last week before Christmas!
Don’t forget – if you’ve made any ornaments in the series this year, you can share them in our Ravelry group or Instagram with #handsoccupiedhohoho.
Jaunty Santa Hat Pattern
This collection of patterns has been seriously lacking in Santa representation thus far, so today seemed like the perfect opportunity to remedy that! This crochet Santa hat ornament is designed with specially placed stitch increases for an adorably jaunty finished look. Who says Santa can’t have swagger? ;)
1 pack Lion Brand’s bonbons in Beach, which comes with 8 mini skeins. – You need less than a skein of red and white yarn from the pack.
size US F crochet hook
Clr A – color A (main color, red in photos)
sc – single crochet
sl – slip
arnd – around
sc 2 in 1 – single crochet two times in same st
ch – chain
X ch – X indicates the number of ch that are in the row after increasing or decreasing
Clr B – color B (white in photos)
tbl- through the back loop
sk – skip
Gauge & dimensions: 4.75 sc & 5.75 rows on US F crochet hook, finished piece measures approx. 2.5 inches in height.
Begin by creating a magic ring in Clr A.
1. sc 6 in ring, sl to join.
2. ch, sc arnd, sl to join.
3. ch 1, sc 5, sc 2 in 1, sl to join. 7 ch
4. ch 1, sc 6, sc 2 in 1, sl to join. 8 ch
5. ch 1, sc 7, sc 2 in 1, sl to join. 9 ch
6. ch 1, sc 8, sc 2 in 1, sl to join. 10 ch
7. ch 1, (sc 4, sc 2 in 1) twice, sl to join. 12 ch
8. ch 1, (sc 5, sc 2 in 1) twice, sl to join. 14 ch
9. ch 1, (sc 6, sc 2 in 1) twice, sl to join. 16 ch
10. ch 1, (sc 7, sc 2 in 1) twice, sl to join. 18 ch
11. ch 1, (sc 8, sc 2 in 1) twice, sl to join. 20 ch
12. ch 1, sc 9, (sc 4, sc 2 in 1) twice, sl to join. 23 ch
13. ch 1, sc 10, (sc 5, sc 2 in 1) twice, sl to join. 26 ch
(Brim begins here) 14. Using Clr B: ch 1, sc 2 in 1 tbl, (sc 2 tbl, sc 2 in 1 tbl) 8 times, sl to join. 34 ch
15-19. ch 1, sc tbl arnd, sl to join.
20. Working in back loops of Clr B brim and in back loops of the last row of Clr A, do the following: ch 1, sl 1, sk 1, (sl 3, sk 1) 8 times. Only sk Clr B sts, NOT Clr A sts.
If this is a little complicated for your taste, you may simply sew the end of the brim to the inside of the hat.
Begin by creating a magic ring in Clr B.
1. sc 4 in ring, sl to join.
2. (sc 2 in 1, sc 1) arnd, sl to join. 6 ch
3. sc 6, sl to join.
Tie “pom pom” closed & sew it to the tip of your hat. Weave in all ends to finish.
If you’re making an ornament, sew a bit of scrap ribbon to the back of the ornament to prepare it for hanging.
Get the free Mug of Christmas Cheer Ornament pattern here.
Get the free Crochet Christmas Tree Ornament Pattern here.