Christmas is right around the corner, and we haven’t yet tackled a holiday tree in the 12 ornaments of Christmas series! Let’s remedy that, shall we? Today’s super festive little tree is one of my most favorite of the ornaments in the series so far, and I think it’s because it’s so simple, but you can still tell right away that it’s supposed to be a Christmas tree. Decorated with scrap yarn and simple straight pins, this little crochet ornament comes together super quick!
Crochet Christmas Tree Ornament Pattern
US size F crochet hook
Lion Brand Bonbons in Beach in green, black & red
poly-fil (polyester fiber fill, a.k.a. stuffing)
straight pins with faux pearl heads
magic ring – here’s a tutorial for newbies
sc – single crochet
ch – chain
rnd – round
(X ch) – X is the number of ch that are now in the rnd
sl – slip
blsc – sc into the back of the ch, here’s a tutorial
blsc 2 in 1 – back loop single crochet twice in same ch
sc 2 in 1 – single crochet twice in same ch
(Y rnds) – Y is the number of times you work the rnd
hdc – half double crochet
Make green part of tree
1. Using green yarn, form a magic ring & sc 5 into ring. Pull tail to tighten loop.
2. (blsc 1, blsc 2 in 1) around. (9 ch)
3. blsc around.
4. (blsc 2, blsc 2 in 1) around. (12 ch)
5. blsc around.
6. (blsc 3, blsc 2 in 1) around. (15 ch)
7. blsc around.
8. (blsc 4, blsc 2 in 1) around. (18 ch)
9. blsc around.
10. (blsc 5, blsc 2 in 1) around. (21 ch)
11. blsc around.
12. (blsc 6, blsc 2 in 1) around. (24 ch)
13. blsc around.
14. (blsc 7, blsc 2 in 1) around. (27 ch)
15. blsc around, sl to join.
Make tree trunk
1. Using black yarn, form a magic ring & sc 6 into ring. Pull tail to tighten loop.
2. sc 2 in 1 around. (12 ch)
3. blsc around.
4-5. sc around (2 rnds)
6. Using green yarn, ch 2, hdc in same ch, hdc 2 in 1 around, sl to join. (24 ch)
Sew trunk to top of tree, stuffing as you go. Weave in all ends. Finish by using red scrap yarn to create a garland and “decorate” the tree with straight pins.