My name is Heidi Gustad, and I’m the designer behind Hands Occupied. Most of my readers & followers are 18-34, closely followed by the 55-64 bracket. My appeal has been described as a unique combination of edgy and homey.
I have experience designing knitting and crochet patterns for web and print. I also have a lot of experience designing, writing, photographing and marketing blog content. Everything from tutorials and inspiration posts to product reviews, interviews and sponsored posts, I’ve done it. You can see some of my notable print features at the bottom of this page. Over the years, I’ve worked with Kleenex, Hershey’s, Kia, Lion Brand Yarn, HP and Elmer’s, to name a few.
I also do a lot of video work. If you’re curious to see how I do on video, you can check out my YouTube channel, the AllFreeKnitting channel or the Blitsy Crafts channel for some samples. Here are a couple of favorite videos to give you an idea of my vibe on camera.
Heidi in print
- I Like Crochet (US) August 2018 – Square Swatch Round Throw Pillow (available 7/1/18)
- I Like Crochet (US) June 2018 – Fruit Purse Flair (available 5/1/18)
- I Like Knitting (US) April 2018 – Pineapple Shawl
- Named 2017 Blogger of the Year by AllFreeKnitting (1/10/18)
- I Like Crochet (US) February 2018 – Navy Bloom Mary Janes
- I Like Knitting (US) February 2018 – Happy Hearts Blanket
- I Like Knitting (US) December 2017 – Twisted Peppermint Slippers
- I Like Knitting (US) October 2017 – Arizona Afghan
- I Like Knitting (US) August 2017 – Mod Maze Pillow
- I Like Knitting (US) June 2017 – Ruby Stole
- I Like Knitting (US) April 2017 – Abie’s Lace Shawl (a.k.a. Shawl You’ll Ever Need)
- I Like Knitting (US) February 2017 – Why I Love Knitting article
- Knitscene (US) Winter 2015 – Blogspotting feature
- School Library Journal – Faux Tie Dye Tshirts
- I Like Knitting (US) June 2015 – English Lace Scarf knitting pattern
- I Like Crochet (US) April 2015 – Purple Haze Messenger Bag crochet pattern
- Sewing World (UK) January 2015 – knitting needle case sewing tutorial
- Let’s Knit Magazine (UK) July 2014 -blogger feature
- Homespun Magazine (Aus) September 2014 – loom knitting tutorial
- DIY Lifestyle Magazine (US – digital) December 2014 – no sew headband tutorial