This fall, Rachel of Lines Across launched Let’s Wrap Stuff, a website devoted to all things gift wrap related. To celebrate its launch, Rachel challenged me and a select group of talented bloggers to come up with a creative gift wrap idea using plain kraft paper. Who doesn’t love brown paper packages tied up with string? Check out all 24 of the creative kraft paper gift wrap ideas at the bottom of this post, but first here’s my take on the challenge…
Man, I love tassels! I really need to start incorporating more of them in my knitting designs. For now, I’ve got two different ideas for how to incorporate tassels in your holiday gift-giving, and both ideas take just minutes to DIY. First off, you need to learn how to make a simple yarn tassel.
How to Make a Yarn Tassel
yarn (I went with Red Heart Super Saver in Burgundy, Hunter Green & Soft White.)
small piece of cardboard
Begin by cutting a small slit in one end of your cardboard. Grab your yarn(s) and put the tail(s) in the slit you just cut. Then start wrapping your yarn around your cardboard lengthwise.
When you’ve wrapped as much yarn around the cardboard as you like, cut your yarn and put the other end of your yarn through the same notch the you began your tassel with. Tie the opposite end of your soon-to-be-tassel together with some scrap yarn.
Cut your yarn at the opposite end of your carboard and carefully slide the tassel off the cardboard.
Use another piece of yarn to wrap and tie around your tassel near the uncut end. Trim any ends of yarn that stick out where they shouldn’t, and your tassel is ready to be a gift topper! (Or lots of other things!)
Get the look: Yarn Tassel Gift Wrap Idea 1
Of the two “looks,” I think this one’s a bit more modern than the second. I love them both equally, though, because look two feels like a little nod to handmade midcentury Christmastime, which is basically my favorite aesthetic ever. But this one, with is peppermint-look tassels and the spread out yarn, feels just a little more like something I’d see in a 2014 window display than the other.
For both looks, you start with a plain old wrapped gift. Then you gather up 3 long strands of yarn, one each of red, green & white. Wrap all three strands of yarn as one around your box several times, alternating where they overlap, leaving plenty of space. When you’re done, tie the two (well, actually 6) ends together with a knot and slide the knot to the backside of your package to hide it.
To finish look number 1, you simply tie two tassels (one made with red and white, the other with green and white) to the package where the wraps of yarn intersect or where you think they’ll look good.
Get the look: Yarn Tassel Gift Wrap Idea 2
For look 2, you simply wrap the three colors of yarn around your box just the same as in look 1, but you bring it all together into a tight band of yarn about 1/3 of the way down your box. Then you tie two tassels to each other and around the band of yarn. Wrap it a few times and secure with a knot at the back.
Both ideas are really easy, and a huge skein of Red Heart Super Saver generally runs around $3ish, so this is a cost-effective way to add some personality to your holiday gifts!
Check out this and 23 other amazing gift wrap ideas using plan wrapping paper and a little bit of DIY magic!
1. Pom Pom Ice Cream Cone Gift Wrap by Let’s Wrap Stuff
2. Embroidered Wrapping Paper by Lines Across
3. Holiday Lights Gift Wrap by Burlap and Blue
4. Printable DIY Watercolor Gift Tags by Dawn Nicole
5. Chalkboard Painted Wrapping Paper by The Winthrop Chronicles
6. Let it Snow Neighbor Gift Printable by Ginger Snap Crafts
7. Upcycled Cardboard Gift Tags 3 Ways by Eat. Sleep. Make.
8. Kraft Paper Gift Card Envelope Printables by Delia Creates
9. Make + Give Christmas Tree Gift Topper by Make and Tell
10. DIY Wrench Wrapping Paper by Maker Mama
11. DIY Stamped Trees Gift Wrap by Shaken Together Life
12. Brown Paper Packages by Delineate Your Dwelling
13. Yarn Tassel Gift Wrap 2 Ways by Hands Occupied
14. Holiday Writing with Washi Tape by Club Chica Circle
15. Glitter-Dipped Gift Tags by The Thinking Closet
16. Coffee Container Christmas Gift Tags by Simply Kelly Designs
17. Gift Wrapping Ideas by C.R.A.F.T.
18. Holiday Gift Wrap Ideas by Making Home Base
19. Sewn Brown Paper Gift Card Gift Giving by Dream a Little Bigger
20. Chalkboard Gift Tag & Ornament by Tried and True
21. Easy Holly Ornament Gift Tag by Rae Gun Ramblings
22. Printable Hand-Lettered Christmas Tags by Persia Lou
23. Christmas Gift Wrapping Ideas by Eighteen25
24. Washi Tape Christmas Tree Gift Card Box by That’s What Che Said