This perfectly squishy baby blanket is a relaxing and beginner friendly knit! A showstopper during baby shower gift opening, a hand knit or crochet baby blanket makes one of the best gifts. They’re often simple and fun to whip up, and they give you a great excuse to make something cute. The Peas & Carrots Baby Blanket definitely checks both the fun-to-knit and cute boxes! Peas & Carrots is bordered by a sturdy eyelet edging that’s great for when baby wants to hang on to his blanket by the corners. This blanket also makes the most of bias knit garter stitch which is pretty to look at and cuddly to touch. Have I convinced you to cast this on yet?
New to working on the bias (a.k.a. diagonal)? I’ve got some tips for success right here.
Peas & Carrots Baby Blanket pattern
2 skeins Lion Brand Yarn Ice Cream in Creamsicle color
US size 5 circular knitting needles
tapestry needle or crochet hook for weaving in ends
CO – cast on
sts – stitches
sl – slip
wyif – with yarn in front
yo – yarn over
k – knit
tbl – through the back loop
p2tog – purl 2 sts together
sl 1 -k2tog- psso – sl 1 st, k2 sts together, pass slipped st over 2 sts knit together
ssk – slip as if to knit, slip as if to purl, then knit both sts together
Gauge: 22 stitches & 30 rows over 4 inches
Finished size: 29 by 29 inches
CO 3 sts
1. k across.
2. sl 1 wyif, yo, k1, yo, k1 tbl. (5 sts)
3, 5 & 7. sl 1 wyif, k to last st, k1 tbl.
4. sl 1 wyif, yo, k to last st, yo, k1 tbl. (7 sts)
6. rpt 4. (9 sts)
8. sl 1 wyif, yo, p2tog, k1, yo, k to last 4 sts, yo, k1, yo, p2tog, k1 tbl.
9. sl 1 wyif, yo, p2tog, k to last 3 sts, yo, p2tog, k1 tbl.
Repeat rows 8-9 until you’ve nearly run out of skein one (or to desired width). Join second skein and continue as follows.
10. sl 1 wyif, yo, p2tog, k1, yo, ssk, k to last 6 sts, k2tog, yo, k1, yo, p2tog, k1 tbl.
11. sl 1 wyif, yo, p2tog, k2, ssk, k to last 7 sts, k2tog, k2, yo, p2tog, k1 tbl.
Repeat rows 10-11 until 13 sts remain.
12. Repeat row 10.
13. sl 1 wyif, yo, p2tog, k2, sl 1 -k2tog- psso, k2, yo, p2tog, k1 tbl. (11 sts)
14. sl 1 wyif, yo, ssk, k to last 3 sts, k2tog, yo, k1 tbl.
15. sl 1 wyif, ssk, k to last 3 sts, k2tog, k1 tbl. (9 sts)
Repeat 14-15 until 5 sts remain.
16. sl 1 wyif, sl 1 -k2tog- psso, k1 tbl. (3 sts)
17. sl 1 -k2tog- psso.
Break yarn and draw tail through final loop. Weave in all ends and wet block to finish.
Not feeling the love for this particular baby blanket? I’ve got a couple more free baby blanket patterns you might prefer: Staggered Holes Baby Blanket / Basketweave Baby Blanket. And if you’re on a big time crunch before that baby shower, you could try knitting a hat instead: Little Hearts Hat / Little Sprout Hat / Declan’s Hat. Baby knits are the best!