I wasn’t going to do it, but in the end, I couldn’t let spring pass without doing another knit along! Last spring I hosted a sock knit along where I shared how to knit top down Shorty Socks, and last fall, we knit the Remy Pullover from start to finish. This knit along is super special, though. I’m hosting AllFreeKnitting‘s first knit along, and I designed a really elegant lace scarf inspired by the season just for it. Take a look at some pictures of the Spring Meadow Scarf below and get excited to cast on this one skein, perfect-for-the-season project. Read on for all the details about how/when/where to KAL, and how to win yarn & prizes from Red Heart for participating!
All the Spring Meadow Scarf Knit Along details!
The official hashtag for the KAL is #springmeadowKAL, and updates will be posted here on Hands Occupied, but the whole shebang will be hosted over at AllFreeKnitting.
How to Participate
It’s easy to take part in the Knit Along! There will be six different steps that will be posted on AllFreeKnitting. All you need to do is simply visit the site on the dates below to get the next step of instructions.
- Week 1 May 15: Instructions for Section 1 and Transition 1
- Week 2 May 22: Instructions for Section 2
- Week 3 May 29: Instructions for Transition 2
- Week 4 June 5: Instructions for Section 3 and Transition 3
- Week 5 June 12: Instructions for Section 4 and Transition 4
- Week 6 June 19 & Week 7 June 26: Instructions for Section 5 & Winner chosen
- 1 skein Red Heart Boutique Unforgettable yarn in Tidal (100% acrylic; 270 yards/247 meters/100 grams)
- US size 8 (5 mm) straight 9 inch knitting needles
- Tapestry needle
Plus, share your photos and get entered to win!
Red Heart Yarn has donated a fabulous prize with a retail value of $50 to be awarded to one lucky participant. Now is your chance to try different types of yarn! Find more details about what the prize includes below:
- 2 balls Red Heart Boutique Twilight
- 2 balls Red Heart Boutique Infinity
- 1 Susan Bates Knitting Needles Set
- 1 Susan Bates Crochet Hooks Set
- 1 Red Heart Tote Bag
In order to be entered to win, simply follow these instructions:
- Post your project (works in progress AND finished project) right on AllFreeKnitting (they’ll make this super easy for you each week).
- Open to anyone 18+ in the US or Canada.
- Photos must be posted by June 25 2015, 11:59pm EST.
We are very excited to get start with our KAL, Heidi! This is going to be so much fun!!!!!
Ooh, those colours! Super beautiful. I wish I wasn’t already working on a million projects… argh the temptation…
How much time do you think it would take, every week to knit this?
It’s really not too bad. The hardest week will be the second and second to last, when the pattern calls for fern lace. It’s a 16 row repeating lace pattern, but it’s only repeated twice, so that won’t take forever, depending on your level of comfort working with lace. The other sections involve lace patterns with 4 row repeats, but those are repeated over longer lengths than the fern lace. I know I knit the final sample of the Spring Meadow Scarf, start to finish, in about 14 total hours. Does that give you enough of an idea?
Thanks for all the lovely comments this week, by the way!
oh wow, that is SO cool! the scarf looks amazing, and I love how you come across in the video. Looks like a fun KAL!
I began this morning with week one and am so disappointed that it is not
reversible. I stopped and tore it out as I HATE to constantly be flipping
the scarf so the right side is showing. I will check what you do on the rest
of the weeks to see if I can incorporate some of the scarf.
I’ve loved doing this knit along…I had to wait for more yarn hence only finishing now